Contour face sculpture
Measurements of my Body:
Face: 7″ x 10″ x 10″
Chest to Hip: 31″ x 22″ x 8″
Arms: 4″x 24.5″ x 5″
Legs: 7″ x 38″ x 7″
Feet: 4″ x 4.5″ x 11″
Crotch to floor: 33″
Hands: 3.5″ x 7.5″ x 1.15″
1.What skills that are pertinent to figure drawing, do you have with which you feel comfortable?
The skill which I feel most comfortable with when it comes to drawing the human body would be shading. Shading the human body is something that I have always enjoyed doing, and feel that I do quite well with. At times it can be very a very difficult, tedious process, but I never mind taking the time to do it well.
2. What aspect of figure drawing do you want to improve?
What I am looking forward to most in figure drawing is increasing my ability to draw the human body quickly, and accurately. As I am pursuing a degree in animation it is necessary that I be able to draw the human body the best I can as quickly and cleanly as possible.
3. How will you use the skills listed in question one to strengthen the areas of weakness?
I believe that I will be able to find a way to sculpt and contour the human body using shadowing. Instead of simply drawing the outline of a figure body with a simple line, I will attempt to shadow the figure and get a better outcome with my drawings.
4. How will you measure your improvement? Be specific.
I will measure my improvement by measuring how well I am able to draw the human figure quickly and accurately by the end of the semester. I will do this by comparing a drawing of a face that I have done recently to a new drawing at the end of the semester.
5. Name a famous painting/sculpture (figure) that has remained in your memory bank. Describe the emotional impact it had on you…why does it haunt you? Discuss the design characteristics, using design language, which you attribute to its impact.
Géricault’s “Raft of the Medusa” is one of the paintings that has left an impression on me. Not only because of the gorgeous array of colors that beautifully conveys the story behind the men stranded on the raft, but also because this painting is based on a true story and the artist created it to bring awareness to the incident. What impacted me most about this painting is that I am able to do the same thing with my art. I can bring awareness to problems that might otherwise be hidden from the world.
6. Name a figurative artist that you admire, other than the one already discussed. What about their style do you admire and why?
Michealangelo’s style of painting and sculpting has long been on the top of my list of favorites in style. Michealangelo had very robust figures, even the ladies were manly looking. This is mainly because Michealangelo struggled with homosexuality for his entire life. I find it interesting that a conflict that this artist had in his life was reflected in his work.
7. Is there a medium in which you want to improve your skills? What is it?
If I could improve in any medium it would be in acrylic paint. I love the warm palate of colors that is created when you paint with acrylic. While I have painted before, it is not my strongest form of art.